Friday, August 5, 2011

Something Remarkable

Hey guys. So I just spent the past half hour, or so, thinking about something, and I think that I am going to just start writing and see what comes out. 


If you read Jen's other blog you know that us seniors have to start thinking about what is going to go in the yearbook, along side our pictures. One of the components of this is a "senior quote". Jen says that this is the thing that she is most worried about, and now I have to agree. 


Last night, I started thinking about it. I went looking online for John Green quotes because I know that I want to quote him for this whole thing. However, the problem was that I was being lazy. I was looking at the quotes and reading to see if the SOUNDED deep. If something stuck my eye as a somewhat meaningful quote, I took it into consideration. That's what eventually led me to this quote: "What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable?" Even looking back on it now, I agree with this quote. I like it and think that it makes sense. But Jen recently pointed out to me that this quote is completely taken out of context. Watch this. The point of this specific line wasn't because it was true, it was because that was what was wrong with the main character.  



I've known this John Green quote for a while: "Maybe our favorite quotations say more about us than about the stories and people we're quoting.” I never knew this one in context either, but I finally get it now. A person may like a quote because of the way it sounds or what is said in it, but with a simple quote, you don't know the true meaning behind it.  Quotes are meant to take what's important out of a big message or a long body of work, but is it really that easy to do with one short line? 


John says that it's our favorite quotes that tell us about each other. While you might not know what it truly means, when you take a quote, your are putting your own story and message behind it. The same quote could mean something different to fifty different people, while the original person might of only meant it one. The reason that I like quotes is because they give you a glimpse into something bigger, but maybe they aren't meant for that. Maybe, quotes are there to let you take them, and make them your own. 


That's why I plan on using that quote that I said earlier. While it may not be correct in correlation to the way that John meant it, I think that it's true in life. It's not that everyone in life has to do something remarkable, it's the simple act of trying that makes  all the difference. And if you don't take the chance to do that, what is the point of life?


Since our favorite quotes say a lot about who we are, what do I think that this quote means about me?  I think that it means that. And while I might think this, you might think something completely different, and so would the next person, and the next person. And you see, that's the beauty of it all. 


                             ********************************************************** 


I must have changed my mind a million different times while writing this. Although, I do really feel better about this. I finally thought about a quote that I think does mean a lot to me. I have come to accept it and now I feel comfortable using it because it is no longer on an impulse. 


Awkward Moments: 2
Books Read: 14
Why Today Was Awesome: I used the word "quote" 21 times. (22 now)
Something I Learned: Quotations
Song Stuck in My Head: "Dog Days are Over" by Florence + the Machine

0 comments!:

Post a Comment