Monday, August 1, 2011

Looking for the Moon

Happy BEDA(ugust) 2011 everyone! Are you excited? 

I am particularly excited because I've decided to do something special for today. To kick-off what I know will be an awesome BEDA month, I'm sharing with you a short excerpt of something I've been working on. You guys have to understand that I am very insecure about my writing but I've told myself that if I want to write, then I should write and that I shouldn't care about what others think because, hey, it's all objective, baby. Anyway, all I've been doing these past several days is this piece of writing here, working on my other blog (where I am also doing BEDA, but a boring one), making my own tumblr (I got one for creeping purposes), and, of course, POTTERMORE (I AM IN!!!!!!).


This is just the first quarter of the "chapter" (I don't feel it's an actual chapter). If I feel like it, I'll put in the second quarter tomorrow or some other day.

Enjoy. If you can, let me know what you think, if you don't get something, or whatever. If you think I suck, let me know too. I will use your flames to roast marshmallows. 

------------
            “By by by the light of the silvery moon…”

            My eyes snapped open. I lifted my head and saw that the iPod dock’s green numbers flashed 11:30PM. I sat up, blindly reaching out to pat the top of my bedside table.

            “Light, light. Let there be li—ahh.” My fingers finally brushed the lamp’s base. The lamplight bounced off of the disco ball, dressing my bedroom in an eerie glow. Gene Vincent’s voice quietly twanged against the night but I lowered the volume anyway just in case my parents or Caleb woke up.

            I got up, listening for the soft tell-tale snores that came from my older brother’s room next door. Confident that only I was awake in the Sierra household, I quickly got dressed in gray sweats, a black tank top and a gray hooded jacket, crooning along with Gene Vincent. I never really cared much for the original musical version of “By The Light of the Silvery Moon.” In my opinion, it was meant to be a rockabilly tune, not for Doris Day.

            “Honey moon, keep a-shinin’ in June,” I sang along in a low whisper. I pocketed my cellphone and a mini flashlight. As I sat down on the carpet to tie my Converse, a loud creak came from behind my bedroom door. Caleb’s snoring had stopped, replaced by a shuffling of heavy feet, a long pause, and then the unmistakable sounds of the flushing of the toilet from down the hallway. I tiptoed across the room and turned off the iPod, cutting off Gene Vincent mid-chorus. I waited for Caleb’s feet to return to his room. A minute passed. ‘C’mon Caleb, go back to your room,’ I thought. I glanced at the clock again. 11:42PM. Now annoyed, I tiptoed to my door and opened it just a crack, wide enough to peek outside. I could see Caleb’s faint silhouette, his back turned toward the bathroom door, just standing in the middle of the hallway.

            “Caleb,” I whispered. He stood there, motionless. “Caleb!” I hissed, a little louder this time. He didn’t seem to hear me. “Dear God,” I mumbled under my breath as I lightly stepped out of my room and walked toward my brother. Upon reaching him I asked, “What are you doing?” and poked him, hard, on the shoulder. Caleb turned, his half-lidded eyes turned toward me. I poked him again, this time on the cheek, and Caleb finally came to.

            “What the--?” he groggily asked.

            “Dude. You’re sleepwalking.”

            “Again?” he asked.

            I nodded. A groan began to escape his lips but I quickly covered his mouth closed with my right hand. I made a shushing noise and pointed to our parents’ bedroom. Caleb’s brow furrowed and he held up his hands, telling me to let go.

            “Where are you going?” he whispered as I turned back to my room.

            “It’s the 29th,” I answered as I turned the knob.

            “New moon this month?”

            “Yep,” I smiled, pushing my door open.

            Caleb paused outside of his bedroom and scratched his head, his hair sticking up in the back. He looked up, still sleepy. “Just send me two flashes when you get there. You have your flashlight?”

            I patted my back pocket in response. Caleb nodded, “All right, g’night then.”

            I stepped up to Caleb, smiled, and kissed him on the cheek. “G’night, Anakin Sleepwalker.” He waved me away and went inside, smiling. 
-----------------------

Thank you for being awesome and going all the way to the bottom. Again, HAPPY BEDA!!! I will see you tomorrow.

Today.......
I really loved...pan de sosa.
I smiled because of...a funny Snape gif on tumblr.
Lyrics playing at this very moment as I type this part of the blog:
"500 days, I know it wasn't the best but I won't ever forget, no, I won't ever forget you..."
( (500) Days by AJ Rafael)
Friend of the day: David Levithan
Hours of sleep last night: 8 (although I slept late again because of Pottermore and HTML and CSS stuff)

--Jen 

0 comments!:

Post a Comment