Saturday, April 16, 2011

Now, A Year Later...

Day 16. April 16. 4/16. 4-squared equals 16.

I've always thought that square numbers were magical. And that square days of the year are magical (January 1, February 4, March 9, April 16, May 25...).

Was today magical? I don't know. Maybe it's too early to say. The debate awards banquet is in three hours.

Because I haven't been posting well-thought out blog posts, you probably deserve some type of update. My debate partner and I "broke" finals, which means we reached final rounds. Kendall said in his post yesterday that he hoped I would be debating today, Saturday, because he knows that it would mean we got to the final round (Thanks, Kerms). And for those of you who sent "awesome-waves" in my direction because he told you to do it on his Friday post, thank you so much. I think they helped.

We did debate today. But I honestly cannot say that I know what the end results will be. This will be my third year in speech and debate, and if I've learned anything at all from being a part of this circuit, it's the fact that you can never be sure about anything. You may think you're doing well, but you're actually getting creamed round after round. Or it could be the other way around. There are so many things that are no in your control, and sometimes the best that you can do is fight your hardest and hope for the best.

And yet, despite all the uncertainty, I still think that today--no, this whole weekend--was and, I'm sure, will continue to be magical. Uncertainty engenders a lot of things--misunderstandings, desperation, luck, risk-taking. But I think it also makes way for unexpected things. This isn't the first time I've discusses unexpected things, but I really think that this weekend was filled with things that I did not expect, both bad and good. And I have never been happier.

I'm sending out awesome-waves of my own to all the speakers and debaters who competed this weekend, especially to the 'Iolani Speech and Debate Team. The amount of work and effort that we have put in this whole season has paid off and an advanced congratulations goes out to those who will receive a tangible reward for their skills and hard work. Because we all know that the true trophies here are the people and friends to whom we get closer, the ha-ha and uh-oh moments that have shaped our year, and the tiny lessons we learn everyday.

Today........
I really loved...the signs Cole and Kienen made for us. And yesterday's PURPLE cauliflowers!
I smiled because...I felt so thankful today, this weekend.
Lyrics playing at this very moment as I type this portion of the blog:
Ahh, um, it's Korean...."What is right? What is wrong?..."
Times it got COLD today: See below.
Hours of sleep last night: 7 hours :)
Friend of the day: Poppet/Rachel <3
(Runners Up: The entire 'Iolani Speech and Debate Team)

--Jen :)

THURSDAY, FRIDAY, SATURDAY--SERIOUSLY ALL DAY FOR THREE DAYS:

(I feel like the luckiest girl in the world.)

0 comments!:

Post a Comment