Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Chronic-WHAT!-Cles of Narnia!

The Chronicles of Narnia. I read them way back in the day, you know, like middle school kine. I do really like this series. For those of you who don't know, there are two ways orders in which the books can go. The written order, and the chronological order. The written order being The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, Prince Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, The Silver Chair, The Horse and His Boy, The Magicians Nephew, and The Last Battle. This is also the order in which the movies are going (or at least for now they are.) 


However the chronological order, and possibly better order, is the way that I read them. It goes like The Magician's Nephew, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, The Horse and His Boy, Prince Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, The Silver Chair, and The Last Battle. Now let's talk about each one, shall we?


The Magician's Nephew. I actually LOVED this one. (Sorry, I lied, I think I read this one after The Lion...... but that was the only one out of order) It was a great start to the whole story of Narnia. The whole ring thing and how they get to Narnia and how they see it created is just really fun and interesting to see. I also love the references to the rest of the series, such as the White Witch, the guy who adopts Perter, Susan, them, and how the Wardrobe was created. 


The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Well, yeah. I mean, it's the classic one. Not much else to say about it.


The Horse and His Boy. Crap. 'Nuff said. 


Prince Caspian. I think that this was my favorite movie out of them (although that's probably because I loved the song at the end [The Call]). I remember, though, long boring backstories from the Telmarines. Meh, but it was still really good. 


The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. It was sad that they had to not include Peter and Susan, but I understand. I hate Eustace. In this one at least. I hate him. Yup. I also thought that the ending as very thought provoking. 


The Silver Chair. I'm gonna be honest. I can't even remember this one. But I do remember that Eustace was in it and I liked him in this one.


The Last Battle. I loved how he wraps up the entire series. It's such a great way to do this since there were so many characters that we met and loved then we get to see them all again and move on together. But here comes my biggest problem with the series. The fact that Susan doesn't get to go to Aslan's country too. The exact words are that she was now interested in only "Nylons and lipstick and invitations" It's basically saying that she became interested in sex. Which, I mean, could be a bad thing if she was like a prostitute or something, but the line is so vague that you don't really know the extent of the situation. The worst part about it though was that Peter, Lucy, and Edmond don't even really care. Think about it, if you were about to go to "Heaven" and your'e sibling wasn't going to come to because she was a whore, wouldn't you be at least a little sad? I hate that part, and I think that it was a really dumb way to enforce stupid rules. 


Yes I know that they have a huge religious overtone (or is it undertone?) which could help little kids to find it more exciting, and it does make the story more relatable, but there are some parts about the religiousness that I don't like and how it relates to the story. The main one would be the Susan thing. But, I like to view them as just as a fun story line. 


(Jen and I said that I was going to talk about something else today, but I decided against it because I just wasn't feeling it.) 



Awkward Moments: 19
Pages Read: 511 (W00T I read today) 
Why Today Was Awesome: HARRY FREAKING POTTER AND THE FREAKING DEATHLY HALLOWS PART 2 TRAILER OF FREAKING AWESOME
Something I Learned: Longs doesn't sell good erasers 
Song Stuck in My Head: Skyway Avenue by We the Kings
Email Subject of the Day: "questions" (April 27, 2009)

0 comments!:

Post a Comment