Monday, February 13, 2012

Day Thirteen: A Love for Little Kid Books

Another short one! Lots to do tonight.


Some of you regulars already know that I collect bookmarks, and I often make them myself. Also, people give me bookmarks for birthdays and Christmas and stuff. For today's gift, I wanted to give someone a special bookmark that I made last summer. It has faint swirls of pastel colors. I used some watercolor-ish techniques to give it a washed out tie-dye effect.  In the middle, I wrote "inspire" in cursive. I haven't used it yet because I always match the books I'm reading with my bookmarks (i.e., I used my Dragonology bookmark when I read the Inheritance books). 


My friend, Aid, helped me write a short note. I introduced myself and explained that the "inspire" bookmark always reminds me that stories can often be inspiring, and that this is one of the reasons why I love reading in the first place. Then, I slipped the bookmark inside the card and the two of us walked together to the Lower School library on the other side of campus. The library was just about to close but I asked the librarian, Ms. Reser, if I could just take a look around. The original idea was to put the note and the bookmark between the pages of one of my favorite children's books: The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister. However, when I got there, I changed my mind because I felt that an older kid would appreciate my gift more. Plus, I started becoming the avid reader that I am now when I was in 4th grade so I thought it would be more appropriate to slip my gift inside an older kid's book. So I looked for Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. It was pretty fitting because I think that inspiration almost always comes to us in the form of the coming alive of stories in our hearts and our minds as we read. So what better book in which to hide my special gift than one about a man who can bring characters to life and transport people into the worlds described in books simply by reading them aloud?


It felt pretty good to do something like this. In addition, all of my bookmarks, especially those that I make myself, are pretty close to me so I wanted to make sure that this gift wasn't something that was very easy to give to someone else. I hope it finds itself in the hands of an avid and enthusiastic reader who truly appreciates the power and beauty of words as much as or maybe even more than I do.


GAHHHH! Tomorrow's Valentine's Day. Kendall has his gift all ready and I...still do not know what I am going to do. I stayed in school until late doing homework and helping a friend brainstorm ideas for his special someone tomorrow (which was kinda depressing for me because I'm just sdkjfhasiodfujasdkfbaskd right now in that department but, whatever...it felt good to be able to help someone out nevertheless).


GAME TIME--ON TO HOMEWORK!!!



Risks taken: 15 
Hugs: 3
Current food cravings/obsessions: milk
Playlist(s) of the Week: "A Deluge of Scenarios"

0 comments!:

Post a Comment