Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Day Twenty-Two: "Kind Mathy Words"


I think Kendall mentioned this in his blog post yesterday: He took the American Mathematics Competition 12 test today. Again. As in, he took it a couple of weeks ago for the first time (I did, too--it was mandatory!) and he took it for a second time at 7:30 in the morning today. Like, he signed up for it beforehand. Voluntarily. And, yes, he was fully awake when he signed up for it.

Kendall is in Pre-calculus Honors. And he’s in love with it. He's REALLY GOOD at it, to boot. He had a math test in PCH today, as well, after the AMC and I was a bit worried so I asked him, “Hey, you have a test in PCH today, too, right?”

He just rolled his eyes and said, “Pssh, yeah, but I’m not worried about that. That’s like asking me, 'Hey, you’re gonna have dinner tonight, right?' What I am worried about is the Bible test!”

I, on the other hand, don’t like math. I only like it when it makes perfect sense and I know exactly what I am doing at all times. So Calculus bites. Often. 

Anyway, because of our math disparities, I always scoff at Kendall’s geeky enthusiasm for algebra and he always laughs at my pathetic quiz scores. Yep, we have a good relationship.

But, when I found out that he was taking it a second time, I couldn’t help but be amazed at how he signed up to take the math test a second time just because he believed that he could do way better than his first try. That kind of passion for something is admirable to me. I don’t always show it so I decided to wish him luck before his test. Last night, I made a small sign based on the logo used by the Hawaii Meth Project whose slogan is “Not even once.” I printed it in school this morning, stood outside the SAO's glass wall and called his attention. I then ninja-style taped the sign to the SAO’s glass door and then ran away.

He liked it.

The actual logo/slogan of the Hawaii Meth Project

This is the mini-sign I made
Risks taken: 15 
Hugs: 6
Current food cravings/obsessions: chicken noodle soup...(not water, because I have a water bottle right next to me THAT'S RIGHT WHAT NOW HUH?)
Playlist(s) of the Week: "Like An N, But Not Really"




0 comments!:

Post a Comment