Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Day Seven: Nothing A Hug Can't Fix

After an extra day off it felt good to be back in school again...even if I did have to take a total of two math tests (the AMC, which Kendall was, of course, being the math geek he is, very excited to take, and then the math test I missed on Monday) and then had to do detention after school today.


Every morning, an attendance report--basically, a list of all the students who are home sick--is sent out to all of the faculty and staff. My name is rarely ever on that list so I guess I should not have been surprised at how many people noted my unusual absence on Monday. But, still


When I arrived at school this morning and crossed paths with my history teacher from my freshman year, she immediately asked me if I felt better, and if I was okay. A couple of my teachers also showed their concern. I got more than a few greetings of "Welcome back!" and "I hope you feel better, Jen!" from my peers. Even when I went into the Special Programs office to arrange something later on in the day, the ladies who work there asked me about my health and stress levels, lightly scolding me for not taking a break for myself once in a while. 


Then, there's the detention fiasco. Like I've said in a previous post, all of the teachers, administrators and students whom I've told about my getting busted for my skirt last Thursday have been relishing my bad luck. The teasing has been non-stop. All in good nature, of course. Detention wasn't so bad because I worked in the Main Office, and I work there for scholarship anyway so it was fun. I love working in there. Nevertheless, I won't be breaking dress code anytime soon. Most likely, never again.


One of the amazing things that I love about going to a small school is the cozy family-like atmosphere. Today was just one of those days that confirmed this idea because I felt so special. Whether they were sweet, asking me questions about my well-being, or funny, teasing me about getting detention, all of the people around me every day genuinely care about me.


And, come on, who can't help but be filled with high energy, being in a place like this?


After school, I hung out in the speech and debate room with a bunch of people, just telling stories and joking around with our coach. After that, I went out into the autoline and realized that I still hadn't given an official gift. So I turned to amazing and sweet Ayami who was walking right next to me. Ayami is only a sophomore but she is one of our team captains. There are times when she's young and childish and I have to be a mother to her. Most times, we're sisters. Once, at Nationals last summer, she took care of me and Rachel like we were her daughters. We've grown so close since I met her last year (I've shared a bed with her on school trips so many times!) and she is one of the people who make it so hard for me to think about having to graduate and leave. I asked her if she needed or wanted anything at that very moment and she said, "I could use a hug right now." So I put all of my things down on a bench nearby and the two of us hugged it out right there in the middle of the autoline for a good long while. Small, simple, but from the way Ayami hugged me back so tightly, I knew I was making a difference in her day!


I've been doing a lot of these spontaneous and simple gifts lately. Time for planned ones starting tomorrow!


Risks taken: 14
Hugs: 4 (1 of which was especially for Ayami!)
Current food cravings/obsessions: .....................................water....
Playlist(s) of the Week: Not a playlist....He is We on Spotify.

0 comments!:

Post a Comment