Friday, August 3, 2012

Orientation Yo!

Hey guys! That's awesome that Jen got to have a fun inspirational experience thing today! While I didn't have such thing, today was still kinda cool.


Today was the second day of orientation and it was arguably the better day. It's the day that we register for our classes, walk around, and get our ID cards. So I got there thinking that I was going to be registering with everyone else, in a computer lab, with advisors walking around helping us. 


BUT, something completely different happened. All of us were split into different groups in the beginning. So I go to the room that I was supposed to go and they tell me that I am a part of some special group called EOP (Educational Opportunity Program). Here is the exact description from their website.


"The Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) promotes academic success and graduation for under-represented ethnic minority, economically disadvantaged and first generation college students."


I didn't have to apply for this, they just selected me for it, and out of the 30,000+ students on campus, there are about 6,000 of us. And us EOP kids got special perks. For example, when we registered for classes, we met, one on one, with an advisor for them to help us choose our classes. So basically, the advisor choose my classes for me. (Which I later changed a little, I'll show you at the bottom). Another perk is that we have our own special building, where we can go to get extra help from professional tutors that are only for us. 


At first, I thought that this was kinda cool, being in this special group. But then I was a little wary. Why am I in this group? Sure, I'm kind of a minority (not really though), but it seems like this program is for disadvantaged youths from ghetto (again, misuse of ghetto!) places. I mean, I will go along with this program and it's awesome that I'm getting all this special treatment, but honestly, I feel like this could be such a great program for someone else who didn't go to an amazing school like 'Iolani.


Anyway, we also got to see the school Bookstore, which was freaking amazing! They literally had everything that you could ever imagine. Ever. 


Coming into orientation, I wasn't too excited. I had this mentality that it was going to be kind of like UH, where no one has many great things to say about it. I felt like this because it just seemed like they didn't really care toO much about the students, which I'm sure is true in some situations. One example that I found of this was how a lot of faculty members don't really know much about other parts of the school, and I didn't really like this. 


I know that this is the type of school that in order to have a good experience, you have to make an effort for yourself and no one is going to hold your hand through it. And I saw that it does have the possibility to be so awesome. One great example of this was our orientation leaders, current students. I think that they did a great job of welcoming us and showing us how things are going to be. Overall, I'm excited and we'll see how it goes. 


(BTDubs, here is my schedule:)





Books Read: 10
Free Meals: 28
Why Today Was Awesome: Classes Yo!
Song Stuck in My Head:  


0 comments!:

Post a Comment