Wednesday, August 8, 2012

BEDA 8: THIS THIS THIS

Because we're in the middle of registration and I'm basically looking at a bunch of names all day, every day, it's not surprising when a random name just pops into my head. Names names names. None of them come with a face, of course, because all we get is a piece of paper with a list of classes these "names" would like to take. 

Anyway, yesterday, as I was alphabetizing registration papers (oh the pains of not having Imua around) and, of course, reading last names to myself, "Stradlater" just randomly popped into my head. I wasn't even at the S's! At first, I couldn't figure out where it came from and why it seemed so familiar. And then I remembered that he was the stereotypical conceited jock whom Holden Caulfield hates. Instead of feeling disgust at Stradlater's caring only about his and his girlfriend's physical attributes, I felt sympathetic toward him. I mean, Holden was cynical and hard to please. It's not easy to make him hate you, you know? There was probably so much about Stradlater that we didn't know that could have allowed us, Holden included, to overlook his terrible qualities. But I guess we'll never know. For all eternity (because I'm pretty sure Catcher in the Rye is going to last for all eternity), Stradlater will be a flat/static/stock (I never really understood that differences between these three...they're all so similar) character in our eyes: forever superficial, always self-absorbed, the "phoniest phony" in literature. And I feel bad because he was created without a chance to prove himself.

I'm not really sure where I was going with this. I just wanted to explain yesterday's title. And I needed something to talk about. I'm running out of things to blog about. Well, topics that wouldn't bore you anyway. 

Ok well, I have to go now because, believe it or not (but seriously, believe it), I'm getting about eight hours of sleep every night. Except tonight, I think, because I'm getting up extra early tomorrow...to renew my permit. IknowIknowIknow. THIS IS THE LAST TIME, JEN, OK? NO MORE RENEWING. GET YOUR LICENSE MAN.

Risks: 24
Hugs: 2
Current food obsessions/cravings: meatballs
Playlists on Repeat: Wallow and THISTHISTHIS
Books Read Since Graduation: 5


0 comments!:

Post a Comment