Friday, August 3, 2012

BEDA 3: A Tutu-rrific Day (Yeah, I tried to be clever...)

This morning, I walked out of our school chapel feeling like I could accomplish anything and everything that it will take to make our world better. 


Why? How? What are you talking about, Jen? Well, let's backtrack! A couple of weeks ago, Ms. Yoneshige asked me to help hand out programs and maybe also usher at special prayer service that we were going to have at our school chapel. Because ushering is one of my fields of expertise (of course) after years of experience, I agreed to help, thinking that this was gonna be something like baccalaureate or graduation, something like that. NOPE. Not at all. 


This morning, we had a prayer service with the now-retired Archbishop Desmond Tutu at St. Alban's. As in the Desmond Tutu who fearlessly fought for the end of apartheid in South Africa and has since then fought against poverty, sexism, racism, HIV/AIDS, and many more. The one who won the Nobel Peace Prize in the 1980s (not sure of exact year), the one we learned about in 9th grade HMW when Mrs. Nagao had us do that class simulation where we had to portray prominent individuals who fought for human rights, equality, etc. and explain the impact that "we" had in our home countries and/or the world. (Funnily, I still remember that BPham played Desmond Tutu! I was Aung San Suu Kyi of Indonesia. I don't remember who Kendall was though...not sure if he does himself.)! He is visiting Hawaii this weekend at the invitation of Rev. Brownridge over at 'Iolani's sister school, St. Andrew's, who is also an 'Iolani parent. He is speaking at St. Andrew's several times over the weekend and a couple of them require tickets and/or will only be available through a live feed. 


But I was very fortunate to be able to sit and listen to him speak! And it was amazing not only because of the sheer simplicity, and consequently the beauty and power, of the message that he touted but also because of the genuine humor and easygoing air with which he held himself. I mean, when I hurriedly slipped into a pew in the back of the school chapel and patiently waited along with everyone else for him to speak, I expected an inspiring and very solemn homily. It was inspiring. But I definitely did not expect him to tell knock-knock jokes or even voice/act out the Annunciation where Gabriel tells Mary that she will be the mother of God's son complete with the voice changes so that the audience can differentiate Gabriel from Mary. I mean, the audience probably chuckled and had a good laugh at least five times during that homily. When we got back to the office, Mr. Yamamoto mentioned how floored he was to see how someone who has gone through so much can be so incredibly positive. Archbishop Tutu exudes happiness, smiling and chuckling throughout his sermon. I also read in the paper earlier today that in one of his talk last night, he jokingly asked a little 10-year-old boy who was the only kid in the audience if the boy had any girlfriends! (Here is the article.)


To experience apartheid in South Africa takes resiliency. To stand up against it takes courage. To push past all the darkness to find light takes humility and greatness. It takes a man like Archbishop Desmond Tutu.


His message was, like I said, simple. And true. He encouraged young people to dream of a better world and to work towards it. He explained that "no one is an accident," that everyone has a purpose. He believes that we must help each other make our world better. 


I've been thinking about this a lot actually because of the pre-college preps and jitters. What is my purpose? I know, it's such a stereotypical college freshman question to ponder. But I've been looking through the class listings at UH and trying to figure out what to take and can't help but think that because I'm a pre-law student and there is no specific requirement for me to be able to go to law school, no pre-set major, that I am going to college for a bigger purpose.


When I was listening to Archbishop Tutu, I was filled with an appreciation for the fact that I am not going to college just because I have to take this and that class so that I can get into law school so that I can get a job so I can have a successful career. I feel as if I am going to college so that I can learn about myself. I'm going to college so that I can improve myself. I'm going to college so that I can help others. That's what it really feels like to me and if this is what it feels like to be able to dream and feel that I can work towards a better future where we can all realize that we are all part of the Human Family, then I feel like I'm in the right place, in the right path.


Again, we know that truth often resists simplicity. But today Archbishop Tutu provided me with a truth that is as simple as it gets: dream of a better tomorrow first, then work to achieve it.


Risks: 24
Hugs: 0
Current food obsessions/cravings: nothing
Playlists on Repeat: Glen Hansard on Pandora
Books Read Since Graduation: 4

0 comments!:

Post a Comment