Friday, April 13, 2012

Day 13: Nice Things

SECOND DAY OF STATES! Time for us to send awesome positive vibes to our team's way! *positive, positive, positive*

I just found TWO dark chocolate bars in my purse with a picture of Norman Rockwell's painting called "High Dive!" I have an awesome best friend.

On Wednesday, after school, we had "Senior Spotlight." It's a speech and debate tradition in (that was a bit modified this year) in which senior members of the team get to address the speech and debaters going to States. This year, we have four seniors on the States team and three of us gave speeches. Cole and Kienen, ever the Dream Team, went first and delivered a speech together. It was funny and serious and silly and heartfelt at the same time, which I think capture what they have been to the team the entire time that they have been members: a good time, but also a true asset in that they are confident speakers. They were the kind of funny that I always try to be but can never be no matter how hard I try. Such is life. I went last and, to be honest, it took a lot of effort not to cry. 

Anyway, having had to write and prepare that speech beforehand just brought back memories. It's true what they say: you remember the beginning at the very end. I've been thinking back to all of the embarrassing moments (tripping at Punahou, walking into a glass door in Kamehameha, crashing into the UH lab coach at KCC), the intense moments (my final 1AR, a certain cross-ex at a certain IDT round, debating Shayne and Thuy Ny at NIT finals), the nervous moments (standing with Rachel, Shayne and Thuy Ny with our arms linked at NIT, waiting for IDT finals postings at my first tournament as Ashlyn's partner, final round at KCC this year), and the funny moments (Starbucks sessions with Angela, asking the time keeper for "30 seconds of evidence" at McKinley, accidentally wearing my Converse shoes to a round at Parker) and more. 

Tomorrow is my final states tournament, guys. You ready? I'm ready. Or I will be readier than I am now at the moment. That made more sense in my head...

Risks: 18
Hugs: I hugged as many States-bound speech and debaters as I could find again today...
Current food obsessions/cravings: SPAM MUSUBI
Playlist(s) on Repeat: "Sunny Days on End"

0 comments!:

Post a Comment