Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Hey, is it over now?

People usually focus on The Firsts--baby's first steps and first word(s), the first kiss, falling in love for the first time, the first day of springNot many people think about The Lasts--that last piece of pie, that last dance, the last song in an album. Even the last blog post?


Mankind, in general, doesn't feel comfortable with the idea of "The End" (why do you think we hold on to our varied beliefs of afterlife?). The Lasts finalize chapters in our lives and bring about a sense of finality to something you either thought would go on forever or would just silently dissipate. 


Next year, I will be a senior. And senior year is sure to be filled with The Lasts of High School. But at the same time, I hope to have a good number of Firsts, too. Life doesn't have to be marked with the Firsts and Lasts because they should coincide with each other. You can try new things and say goodbye to the old at the same time. They should overlap and make things more interesting.


While we celebrate The Firsts and cherish The Lasts, we stand in awe in the presence of the elites: The Last Firsts.


The end of Anberlin's "Inevitable" goes like this:
                   I wanna be your last first kiss
                  That you'll ever have (that you'll ever have)
                   I wanna be your last first love (that you'll ever have)
                  'Til you're lying here beside me with arms and eyes open wide
                   I wanna be your last first kiss for all time


At first, I had thought that the "last first kiss" made perfect sense: once you have your first kiss, you can't really have another first kiss again (that would be the second kiss . . .). But if you think about it, the "last first love" actually means the ONLY love.


The Firsts are beautiful because they are unprecedented, The Lasts because they represent a past and promise a future. But The Last Firsts are the one and only's.


This is my last blog post for BEDA(pril) 2011. But it's also my first for post-BEDA(pril) 2011/pre-Summer of '11. And I certainly hope that this post is one of a kind.


Today......
I really loved...those eyes.
I smiled because...of senior "prefecture"
Lyrics playing at this very moment as I type this portion of the blog:
"...Kiss me, please kiss me. But kiss me out of desire..."
(Last Goodbye by Jeff Buckley)
Hours of sleep last night: 3.5
Times it got COLD today: awesome number 5
Friend of the day: Cole (for Grace!)


--Jen :)

0 comments!:

Post a Comment