Sunday, January 13, 2013

So Much UMs!

HEEEELLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE!!!

I hope that you all had as productive a week as I did. It was the first week of the semester so it was crazy. I don't have my schedule memorized yet and this schedule is harder than my first semester's. I end at 4:30 every day, except on Tuesdays when I end at 5:30 (I have a two and a half hour long class....*sigh* Seminar courses. Typical.) I had meetings left and right all week because we are frantically getting ready for our Relay for Life Kick-Off so I actually only had dinner at the dining hall ONCE and that was on Monday night. BLEH. 

The thing that I am being strict about though is my sleeping. I told myself I wouldn't go past midnight because I wake up at 6:30 every morning so if I go past 12, that is entering the 6-hours-only danger zone. The earliest I went to sleep was 9 and the latest, I think, 11:30. Yay for sleep! But despite my efforts at getting as much rest as possible because my schedule is more taxing now, I got sick. Yeahhh. I am currently an incubus of germs, coughing all over the place (except, not really, I carry a hanky and wash my hands constantly). I had a fever on Friday night but that went away overnight, thankfully. At this point thought, I am trying to make sure that this doesn't get any worse. I think I am getting better so lots of water, more medicine, more sleep, and crossed fingers should hopefully do the trick. I do sound like a bullfrog right now though. Attractive. 

This weekend has been crazy busy, too, and that is again because of our Kick-Off event this Thursday. Planning an event with so many people can be pretty complicated. There are so many details to go over and finalize and then some fall through or cancel on us or tell us we can't serve free or cheaper food and what if it rains and gah. And then comes my committee's main job: publicizing it so people actually show up. So a lot of my weekend has been revising posters, preparing for our huge campus displays this week, and updating Facebook. Yep. Through it all, it is easy to forget why we are even putting ourselves through this.

But yesterday thankfully brought me back to the right place. I was at the Hilton from 8 in the morning and I didn't get back home until 5 in the afternoon. Although it was a long day, it was also a good day. It was the Hawaii Pacific Region Summit for Relay for Life so a bunch of people from all over the state and Guam got together to share ideas and basically get everyone pumped up for the Kick-Off season. These people were cancer survivors, caregivers, touched by cancer in some way. And all of us there were involved in planning our respective Relay events. It's one of those things that give me legit chicken skin and just inspire me to work harder and do everything I can to get rid of worldsuck. But at the same time it made me cry because I sometimes can't grapple with the fact that there is so much sadness in this world when there simply shouldn't be. And it made me cry because there are so many inspiring and good people around the world who believe in this sort of thing and I feel so lucky and blessed to be working with them. The best part about it is that although it gave me all of these crying feelings, the most prominent one was this sense of hope, which is basically Relay for Life's main message. Hope is what we hold on to because sometimes it is all we have. And one of the things that we all emphasized at the summit is that "Hope give and hope received illuminates the darkness."

So my week has been crazy busy and emotional, but thinking about it, I am kinda glad. I think I missed being really busy like this. When I was thinking about it yesterday, I realized that I really did not waste any of my time at all this week. (Well, I spent about two hours before bed watching YouTube videos but that was because I couldn't sleep or turn on the lights, and hey, those LBD videos are getting better and better man so what can I say?) I feel like I was doing something worthwhile with all of my time and I like that. I am glad. 

I said in the last post that I feel that 2013 will be a year of good for me. Whether that means that I will do lots of good things or I will feel good about myself, I don't know, but right now, I think it's both. Let's keep this up, Life!

Risks: 38
Books Read Since Graduation: 7 (Finished Let It Snow and now I gotta finish Dash & Lily again (but I won't count it) before I start read-editing Kendall's NEW BOOK!)
Thank You Notes Written: 3

0 comments!:

Post a Comment