Friday, September 21, 2012

How to Make the Most of Your Placenta

No, I will not discuss the versatility of the placenta in this post because 1) eating one's placenta, I think we can all agree, is quite revolting (no offense to anyone out there who believes otherwise), 2) Anyssa, Anyssa's mom, Rebecca, Maria, and I have already touched upon a couple of aspects of the subject after Tuesday night's dinner, and 3) that particular conversation was disgusting.

When I got back to my room after our meal, I was tempted to Google the supposed benefits of eating one's placenta after childbirth. But I quickly dismissed the urge as I knew that pictures of fetuses were bound to show up multiple times. No, thanks, I'd rather not go there. So, instead, I got to working on starting my American Studies paper...in complete silence. 

Silence reigns after dinner in our dorm domain simply because my roommate, Daisy, is an extremely diligent student. We both like to work in peace and so we have unconsciously both agreed that talking should be at a minimal during homework time every night. And she definitely follows that rule. We make a couple of remarks here and there, now and then, throughout the night, but they're not conversations. Mostly, we work. And we do it quietly. I'm actually very thankful for this because it means that I can focus. I admit I do wander off to Facebook and Tumblr once in a while, and my Pandora tab always accompanies the Google research tabs, but I definitely get a lot more of my homework done when I'm studying in the dorm rooms with Daisy than if I were somewhere else.

From the beginning, I pegged Daisy as the extremely quiet and shy type--with which, most of you probably already know, I don't quite mesh well. I mean, look at how much I hated little kid Kendall when we were wee freshmen. Anyway, during the first several weeks of living together in the same area during which we danced around each other's personal space and personalities, I have learned several things: 1) She is the quiet and shy type and 2) She isn't exactly the extremely quiet and shy type.

Daisy indeed does not talk much. I don't thinks she is the type to take risks easily or go out on a limb to say hi to a stranger. But she smiles easily. I tease her a lot (I try not to go overboard) and she is always a good sport. She is also a bit gullible. I once jokingly told her that I made a poster that said, "Daisy Green is the newest member of the varsity tennis team!" and hung it at Campus Center. If you had seen the way her eyes widened in horror, you would have laughed just as loudly as I did. My sarcasm often catches her off-guard but I think she is getting used to it. Daisy is extremely humble, shying away from direct praise by nature but not obnoxiously oblivious to the fact that she is awesome. She downplays her achievements a lot and seems to prefer the sidelines despite the fact that she deserves far more credit than she allows herself to claim. Daisy is a heavy sleeper. Last night, I finished my American Studies paper at around 11pm, I think, but I could not sleep. So I started doing chores until 1:30am--I cleaned out the refrigerator, washed some dishes, swept the floor, cleaned my desk area, straightened up my side of the room, etc. I definitely dropped and slammed a couple of things by accident but not once did she stir in her deep sleep. Daisy is smart. She is a math-science person (so, not my area) and her talent and interest in both definitely show. Judging by her things, her favorite color is blue. She seems to be a person of routine, very punctual, waking up early when she must. She is neat and always keeps her things in order and her bed made. Daisy does not open up a lot. But the first time she did, we ended up talking about tennis, Japanese, high school, family, Hawaii and so much more for almost two hours. 

If it's not already obvious, I'm enjoying getting to know Daisy and slowly becoming better friends with her. And I think this is the same with everyone else I have met so far. Right before school started, I suddenly realized at the New Student Orientation that I had completely forgotten what it was like to be in a place where I didn't know everyone and to be in a situation where I had to make friends. How in the world did I make friends in high school? I don't even remember. So, I silently freaked out about making friends in college. Though I love the fact that I am still close to Rebecca, Anyssa, LJ, Daniel, and Shannon, and that we're continuing the Mafia beyond 'Iolani, there's a certain excitement in making new friends. The sheer novelty of the experience is something that I have forgotten.

As I mentioned earlier, I danced around Daisy's routines, moods, habits, and personality much like I did around everything during the first several weeks of college. I merely tiptoed about, testing the waters of this new lifestyle, people's personalities, and my teachers' methods. But lately, I've noticed that I've become more comfortable. I no longer feel intimated by older students who contribute more often in class discussions. I can actually throw in my own opinions, thoughts and interpretations of the text into the mix. I'm starting to walk around campus the same way that I used to walk in 'Iolani: Head held high, I know where I'm going, how I'm getting there, and how long it takes to get there. And I wave and say hi to friends and familiar people I know along the way. I've gotten more comfortable around the dorms, saying hi to strangers in the elevators, the kitchen, the roof, the lounges, the area by the mailboxes, and having spontaneous conversations with them. I've started to slouch (kinda) in my class seats, more comfortable, no more fidgeting. I can't say I've fully adjusted just yet, but I'm definitely closer than where I used to be.

I'd say that some of it had to do with Hamilton library. Desperately in need of someplace quiet with absolutely no distractions so that I can read and study for my Linguistics tests, I turned to one of the libraries on campus. I spent some time roaming the second floor during my first visit. I found the bathrooms, located the water fountains, used at least three of the computers in the lab. I usually read my textbook in one of the upstairs study ares so I have yet to explore the other parts of the building. Since that first time, I've been visiting whenever I can over the past week or so, reading and studying within the semi-confines of the carrels, in preparation for tests and nights of paper-writing. Once I feel comfortable in an unknown library, in the company of books, I guess it only takes a second after that to feel comfortable in a new school and, subsequently, a new life.

It's ironic because I didn't really think much of Hamilton (neither did I of Sinclair Library for that matter). The shelves are dreary. The books on the shelves look just as, if not more, dreary. But I ended up loving its temperature, convenient location, and quietness--the kind of silence that fosters focus, not boredom. In the same way that I judged Hamilton for its books, I judged the people around me more often than usual by their looks. But it took realizing that Hamilton is actually a wonderful resource once you get past the heavyset tomes of knowledge on its dusty shelves to understand that people can be really friendly, nice, and interesting despite their purple hair, impressive suit, loud voice, short (or not short) stature, imposing glasses of nerdiness, etc.

We all judge people by the way they look. "Never judge a book by its cover" is unwarranted. It urges us to defy our innate instincts, the very basic human nature we all possess. You can and you always will judge people by their physical characteristics. Your brain is hardwired to do it. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Allowing your judgments to determine your action, however, is the no-no. I judge books by their covers all the time. But I never let a crappy book jacket stop me from reading a story that catches my attention, nor do I let it fool me into buying a hardcopy right away either. Guys, it's all about the blurb.

I judged Daisy to be painfully shy when I first met her. But I did not let that stop me from trying to get to know her better. Again, it's all about the blurb--the cautious dancing around each other during the first several weeks.

If anyone says they never judge anyone by their looks from the get-go, they're not being very truthful. I mean, I'd sooner eat my placenta than believe them. Again, just don't let what you see determine what you do.

Lesson learned pals!

Risks: 30
Hugs: 4
Current food obsessions/cravings: water
Playlists on Repeat: Awkwardly Celebratory for No Good Reason + Um, I'm Embarrassed to Say
Books Read Since Graduation: 

0 comments!:

Post a Comment