Thursday, March 1, 2012

Day Twenty-Nine (The End): Postcards at the Beach

First of all, I hope you had a happy Leap Day! Only once in every four years do we see this lovely Feb 29 on our calendars, so it was bound to be special. Sure enough, this was a day of all days.


For my final gift: A couple of weeks ago, one of the commenters on 29 Gifts suggested that I check out Postcrossing because I like writing letters so much. So I did and immediately signed up for it. I thought it would be cool to send and receive postcards from all over the world. So I was assigned to write five postcards to five different people--one in Belarus, in Lithuania, Russia, China, and Netherlands. So a little bit into the meeting period, I walked from school to Waikiki Beach. I bought five postcards (all with a picture of Waikiki) at the first ABC store I saw and then walked down to the shore to write the postcards. I sat down on a low rock wall near Walls for a while to just relax and take in everything around me so that when I started writing, I could make sure to describe the cool sand between my toes as I burrowed my feet deeper and deeper, the smell of the Pacific, how the cool breeze that mingled with the Hawaiian heat felt, and the sound of the waves tumbling over each other and crashing against the shore. Good thing it wasn't very crowded with tourists (it was a bit overcast today). Hopefully, I managed to capture all that a single relaxing moment in a Hawaii beach can offer and imprinted all of it onto the postcards. I also included some well wishes and a couple of life's simple reminders: live, love, laugh, make the little things count, and don't forget to be awesome.


Today, in addition to being reminded of how lucky I am to live in a place where so many people can only dream of visiting, I was also reminded of just how lucky I am to have friends who genuinely care for and love me. Last year, I wrote a lengthy letter to myself and its contents were not at all new to the four friends who just read it this past week with my permission. But, apparently the way I conveyed my message in those heartbreaking pages just ignited so many emotions. Suffice it to say that there should never be a time when any one of us should ever feel unloved because that is wholly untrue. We are all loved--sometimes, we just don't notice. And I am so grateful that my friends make sure that I never forget.


Before I close, I just wanted to say something about Kendall today. Though he said in his blog that what he gave on this final day of 29 Gifts wasn't a very big deal, I want everyone to know that Kendall is one of the most selfless people I know and he did something else earlier today that only a handful of people in this world would, if put in the same situation as he was, would do exactly what he chose to do. I'm not even sure that I would have done what Kendall did today myself, and that's hard to admit, but it's the truth. Rather than choose himself, he chose to help someone. Rather than be selfish, he chose to be selfless. Rather than think of what he wanted, he chose to think about what someone else needed. And he didn't even mention it in his blog! Though I cannot say exactly what Kendall did (it's kinda personal, and also, a secret), ladies and gentlemen, this young man is hands-down amazing. Kerms, I am so lucky to be able to call you one of my best friends. Please do me a favor and just go and write him a short little comment on his 29 Gifts page here because things definitely did not turn out the way he wanted them to, but he took it all in stride and was still very happy to help someone else. Now that is commendable and truly inspiring.


This has been quite a journey of 29 days--lots of gift-giving, hugs, smiles, and feel-good awesomeness-ities amid the third-quarter-senior hustle and bustle. I am really glad that we did this because I feel like I've learned so much more about myself and others as well. Reaching out to people and constantly having to think of special ways to give can do wonders. At the same time, however, I've become so much more aware of the little daily pockets during which I can give to others. They're everywhere. The problem isn't because we don't have the time to give--it's because we're often blind to these opportunities. The most satisfying feeling is knowing that someone, out there, is smiling because of what someone else did, and the possibility that maybe that person will pass it on. Making a difference, making the little things count, making the most of your time and of what you are given--these are what make life. And giving to others definitely falls in all four. To the site moderators and constant readers/commenters of our blogs these past 29 days, thank you, thank you, thank you! We were so overwhelmed and amazed at how amazing this community is. All of your warm comments and encouraging words have definitely spurred us on and kept us looking for more creative ways to give. You have inspired us through and through, and for that we thank you. I will most definitely be back for a Round 2.


Now that BEDiF is over, we revert back to BEWTY. Let's keep going up and up and up, guys.


Risks taken: 17 (2 today)

Hugs:  2
Current food cravings/obsessions: milk
Playlist(s) on Repeat: "Like an N But Not Really"

0 comments!:

Post a Comment