Monday, October 8, 2012

Uncle Teddy Thinks We're All Sissies

Hello everyone. First, let me start off by apologizing for my failure to post for last week. I remember thinking about doing it on Sunday but I ended up getting sick and sleeping very early at home so it slipped my mind. I went canvassing early Sunday morning, then came home. Shayne and I went shopping at Waikiki and we hung out quite a bit but my head was just throbbing the entire time so we bussed home. I was a wreck at this point, I'm sure people thought I was downright drunk because I looked like I was gonna puke. Which I did once we got home. It wasn't fun. Then I went straight to sleep and when my mom woke me up at 8pm to ask if I wanted to go back to the dorms, I declined and went back to sleep. I still had a terrible migraine. 

I think it's the vog. I have never been affected by it but I have never seen it this thick here before. The sunset was red and it was pretty overcast all day. In the past, when people would mention the vog, I always used to be like, "Vog? What vog? I didn't know we had vog this week..." Now it's all over the sky.

Anyway, other than the headache, my weekend was pretty good. I stayed out until pretty late on Friday night with office friends. We ate at Marukame Udon, went Waikiki shopping, then hung out at (freaking) Hokua, taking pictures, talking, and just singing.

Then Saturday was 'Iolani Community Action Network Day! It was my first official alumni event. And it was really fun.!Rebecca, LJ, and I were the 2012ers. First, we cleaned and skinned taro. Then we stomped and worked two of the lo'is. At first, Rebecca was really grossed out about the mud. On the other hand, LJ was pretty much like a little kid in there. I had actually worked those particular lo'is before so it wasn't that big of a deal but I still thought it was really enjoyable. Then we washed up in the stream. The water level was considerably lower than the last time I had been there but it was still cold so it felt good to wash up and soak our legs after doing something good for the community.

It was just one of those days that make me love being a part of this community. Getting to see 'Iolanians all together in pursuit of doing good and having a good time with each other while bringing awesome into the world is something that I will always cherish. The three of us will definitely be at the next one and, hopefully, we can rally the rest of the 2012ers to join us too!

After saying goodbye to all the 'Iolani rockstars, the LJ, Rebecca, and I embarked on a short trek amid the rocks and overgrown tree trunks in search of a safe shortcut back to the dorms. It wasn't that hard to find but we couldn't see the bottom of the stream so we weren't sure how deep it was. We didn't wanna risk trying to reach the bottom or anything so we stayed dry for the most part. We hopped on the rocks, stayed close to the bigger ones on the edge, and held on to the low branches as we got closer to the other side. 

We hung out in my room after a bit to shower and just hang out. After LJ's mom picked her up, Rebecca and I went to lunch and separated for the weekend. I got home and tried to watch a movie with my mom but she was restless and she ended up going out after, I think. I helped Josh out with his mole project for Chemistry for the rest of the afternoon (which is pretty cute). That night, I tried to watch some TV but I ended up conking out. I guess I was really tired!

I woke up early Sunday morning to take the bus to Kalihi for canvassing. But first I dropped by Jamba Juice for a berry topper. That was a yummy breakfast. Then I walked to the park and then set off canvassing in the upper Kalihi area by Kamehameha Shopping Center. It was hot, there were lots of dogs, and walking. And most people were not home. But I managed to hit all of the sixty or so houses in that district in a little over two hours! 

I already told you all the rest so that's all there is to it. I guess last week's "theme" was more of the idea that my life now as a college student no longer revolves solely around school. Whereas life in 'Iolani was basically studying, life in college means that I get to do more things besides study. Yes, I am working hard for my classes. But I'm also doing other things for which I didn't used to have the time. I'm hanging out with friends a lot more. I'm volunteering and working. I'm reading for fun. I'm writing letters and doing service/craft projects because I feel like it. I'm also writing a lot more. I'm going to try and exercise more, and stretch and do yoga! I find myself planning my activities as I go along. I remember how I used to schedule my days based on chunks of time like periods. Everything from eating to using the bathroom in between classes to printing papers used to be scheduled in a daily to-do list. And I used to find it so difficult to squeeze in anything other than what was already written down or to change anything at all. All of that seems to be no more, and it feels good to have this kind of freedom.

Risks: 32 
Hugs: 1 (when my mom dropped me at the dorms this morning)Current food obsessions/cravings: water, oatmealPlaylists on Repeat: (freaking) Parachute on Pandora.........................Books Read Since Graduation: 6 (This number will be 7 after tonight)


0 comments!:

Post a Comment