Sunday, December 28, 2014

I Want To Be Bigger Than Life

Hey guys.

This is it. Last post of 2014. I don't know when this happened.

Thinking back on this year, so much did happen, even if I didn't think it did. I DID travel so much. Chicago, Florida, San Fransisco  Portland, Road Trip. This was a crazy year for travel and it was so amazing (and really expensive). I DID go to a lot of concerts. I DID go to 18 concerts this year (also expensive) but so very worth it. I DID decide to graduate in three years instead of four. I DID so many little things in between, like did better things at my job, became closer to some people, grew away from others, I read 15 books (not definitive because I have a few days to finish the one I'm reading now), I got my own room, I semi figured out where I'm going. 

2014 wasn't the best year in the word but it certainly wasn't the worst. It was necessary, but great. It went by so quickly. Jen had something to say about his recently, she said:

"I've been talking about this to Brandon a lot lately but I generally believe that time doesn't really move faster when we're older. People say that high school goes by so quickly, and that college is so much quicker. I think that's misleading because the rate of change is really constant throughout. It's just that as we get older, we become more attached to the people around us. We realize the weight of the present and see the importance of living. We learn how to love and to hold on to the things worth cherishing. And so it seems as if time moves more quickly because we don't want to part with the good things, the people and places we've built our comfort zone around. It's a bit scary isn't it? And I'm sure everyone feels it, which ought to make you less scared of it all, but that's easier said than done, as are most things."

I kind of disagree with her. I mean, what she said was right, we don't want to part with the good things that we've created. But time is moving faster, I mean, not actually, but comparatively. When we're 5, an hour seems like a forever because all we've lived is 5 years. 1 hour out of 5 years of hours is still kind of significant. But as we grow older, that ratio decreases. 1 hour out of 20 years of hours isn't as significant. The more time that passes, the less significant each second gets. If that's how you think about it. It can also be argued that each second is more vital. Our clock is counting down not up. Yes that's the depressing way to think about it but it's true. We can't waste our time holding on to things that were once comfortable to us. We have to take advantage of every opportunity that comes our way. We have to make the most of our time here, do what makes us happy. I feel like I've learned a lot this year and in some ways I've grown a lot too. There are obviously still so much room for improvement. There always is. But I think that it's time. I know that this is cliche and it's what everyone says about every year, but 2015 is it. It's THE year. I don't know why yet, but I know. And I kind of have to too. If I think 2015 is going to be a crap year, am I really giving it a chance to be great? No. 2015 is going to be the year. My year. And I can't wait for it. 

Why This Week Was Awesome: Christmas
Times Eaten at Chipotle: 16
Books Read: 15
Airplanes Ridden: 20
Concerts Attended: 22 

0 comments!:

Post a Comment