Monday, April 11, 2016

The 11th of April

A small yellow and orange blown glass figurine of a lovebird--one of a pair--sits next to my Sharpies jar. A white book entitled "I THINK AM IN FRIEND-LOVE WITH YOU" leans against my alarm clock. A folded piece of blue construction paper showing "JEN" in bold letters, with a handwritten letter inside, is taped to the white wall, right underneath the light switch near my bedroom door. A small brown leather-bound notepad embossed with butterflies sit atop my copy of The Time Traveler's Wife, which holds between its pages a metal bookmark with intricate cutouts and a purple knot. And on the lower left corner of my desk, near where my left arm rests as I type on my laptop is a small picture--worn and old, it shows Norman Rockwell's painting, "High Dive," with the words "GOOD LUCK JEN! And don't foget (as if you could)...Just Jump!"

Hello old friends. 

My name is Jen, and Kendall is one of my best friends. For the past seven years, he has played a major part of my life. In high school, we served others and created moments and learned from each other. In college, we spent much of it apart as he went off to Seattle and I stayed home. We made mistakes and tried new adventures and forged new paths, separately but always side by side. Now, I am in Boston, finishing my first year of law school, and Kendall is on the other side of the continent, in Seattle, finishing his last year of college. Several months since we saw each other last, still, little mementos of his love litter my desk where I spend most of my time in my room. And no matter where life takes me next, I know I will have the same mementos follow me, guide me, watch over me--just as Kendall has and continues to do in a way only Kendall can, even from afar. 

Several days ago, after an especially grueling two weeks of memos due, final presentations, and oral arguments, I felt ready to quit it all. And in true Kendall fashion, with no questions asked and no details needed, I received a lengthy pep talk via text that made me smile inside and out. Words cannot describe how thankful I am to have this man in my life--Kendall, I have said this many a time, and I will continue to say it so long as it is true: you truly are all sorts of wonderful.

Today, is Kendall's birthday, a truly special day. And definitely one that warrants a comeback here in this blog where our best friendship started and something that, as Kendall said in his previous blog, will always hold our memories. Though I may no longer frequent this special place of ours, I still keep everything that we've had close to my heart. (And I do come back from time to time to see what he's up to!)

Kendall is not an outwardly affectionate person. People make him uncomfortable sometimes, talking is awkward and feelings are even worse. But never in the time I have known him have I ever doubted that he truly cares about his family, friends, mentors, loved ones. Because to him, his actions have always made his love obvious; there is never any need for him to vocalize them. He creates a family of sorts with the people he meets everywhere. He brings his own unique verve to everything he does. He is thoughtful, carefree, inquisitive, and always up for an adventure. 

Thank you, Kerms. Happy 22nd birthday! I love you, and three peace.


0 comments!:

Post a Comment